The Green Side of Canoeing and Kayaking
Taking a canoe out for a few hours is a peaceful retreat often associated with camping or hiking trips. The time spent on the water connects you with nature for a rejuvenating experience. Caring for our surroundings is a priority during our camping activities. Kayaking or canoeing with a green style in mind is a responsibility when visiting outdoor sceneries and natural settings. Much of the world is moving into an eco-direction making it easy to include the concept on our outdoor excursions. With a bit of planning and packing smarts, you can turn your time in the canoe into an earth friendly adventure.
Green ways of Canoeing
- Receptacles – One of the easiest ways you can lessen the imprint of your trip is by implementing receptacles on and off your canoe. Keeping waste, debris or random items from floating away will keep the water clear. Wildlife will be less apt to eat or choke on dangerous materials or trash if they are contained. The same rule applies at campsites or if you find yourself journeying up any trails.
- Reusable – Having access to refillable and reusable essentials will reduce the usage of disposable products. Water jugs can be used to fill one bottle versus multiple packs of smaller plastic varieties. Cutlery and plates are another quick yet effective save that makes an economical green choice. Towels or napkins can be repurposed as needed without having to track blowing tissues across the forest.
- Mapped out – Avoiding unchartered areas is a positive move towards being an earth friendly canoer or kayaker. Staying the course mostly traveled eliminates our footprint on fresh grounds. Disturbing the land can have adverse effects if it a habitat for animals or a haven for fresh growth. It is important to remember that when we are camping, we should not leave evidence of our time there. Having a map on hand is a smart and safe way to canoe.
- Light the Way – Efficiency comes in all shapes and sizes. Using LED lights or solar powered gadgets and accessories is a long-term view of a greener lifestyle. When you incorporate this concept into your canoe trip, you will create a positive thought process moving forward. Radios, chargers, clocks and flashlights are a few of the solar items available for campers.
- Gear Guru – Recycling is a simple resource when transitioning to greener camping days. Repurposed items are made anew through the ingenious process we have today. You can find any of your needs made from recycled materials for a smart step in the plan. Tents, backpacks, bags and various supplies are sold across the country to continue eco efforts.
With a few good ideas and intentions, you are well on your way to a green canoe trip. If you are considerate of the environment, friendly to the surroundings and self-aware of your actions, you will set an encouraging example for others while having a positive impact. Earth and eco friendly is no longer a canoers option… it is a necessity for brighter camping days of the future.